Lincoln Student Wins Local Film Prize

Mr. Daniel Resz, left, Kira Brashears, center, and Emily Dahl, right, pose for the paparazzi.

(UPDATED 2/6/15: Corrected a fact)

On Jan. 10th, Kira Brashears and Emily Dahl attended the California Theater in downtown San Jose for the 5th Annual CreaTiVe Awards.

Brashears’s film “The Curse of the Mummy Queen” was nominated for the best student award in the high school category. The award ceremony ranged from professionals, to non-professionals, to high school students from different schools. Students from other high schools such as Mt. Pleasant and Live Oak also attended the ceremony. Raffi Krigel and Joe Ducan, two Lincoln graduates who played an important role in making the film last year, could not attend the ceremony due to being away at college.

Brashears explained that the most challenging part about putting the film together was all the time it took and giving up a lot of her weekends to work on the film.

Brashears said, “I didn’t have any issues handling my school work and working on the film, but I knew I just had to get the work done and was just trying to enjoy what I love doing the most — which is making films.”

Brashears said she did not know what to expect at the awards. She explained that the awards were glamorous and an unforgettable experience.  Upon receiving the award, Brashears felt shocked. She said winning was a surprise.

“I was surprised that the judges really liked my film and ended up winning out of all the different high schools,” she said.

“No words could explain how I felt after being handed the award,” she added.

Mr. Daniel Resz, Lincoln’s media arts teacher, attended the awards with Brashears and the other students. Mr. Resz’s main role in helping Brashears succeed was being a supervisor, making sure she had full access to all the equipment and finding an audience who would appreciate the work.

Mr. Resz said, “A Lincoln student winning this award showcases all the talented and committed students here at our school.” Ever since Mr. Resz has been working at Lincoln, he has seen students’ work get better and better, which attracts more and more kids to want to attend Lincoln.

This will be the second time Lincoln has won an award from CreaTV. In 2011, Alex Jacobsen was nominated and won the same award.

All of Brashears’s hard work paid off in the end. Above all else, she plans to continue making films. Brashears said, “The work I did was fun for me and I really enjoyed doing it.”