Coronavirus Quarantine Countywide: Events Cancelled at Lincoln

UPDATE: 3/12/20 AP Retreat is cancelled, petition for closing school UPDATE: 3/13/20 Starting Monday, March 16th, All Santa Clara County Schools will be closed until April 3rd.

The County of Santa Clara Public Health Department has ordered all Santa Clara County schools to close from March 16th until at least April 3rd in order to slow the spread of COVID-19. All sports practices and games will be cancelled along with other school events. Teachers will not report to work,  grade or assign work in this time. Lincoln’s campus will close immediately after school ends today (3/13/2020) at 3:10pm. The administration refused to talk to Lion Tales about graduation, extending the school year, and AP exams. Upon the school announcement of this hiatus, students reacted in very different ways. Some students audibly rejoiced at the pausing of school when the Principal informed the student body over loudspeaker. Seniors, however, were upset because of the possibility of extending the school year and maybe even postponing graduation.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) named for the crown-shaped spikes covering its particles, has begun widespread panic globally. Countries most affected are China, South Korea, Italy, Iran, France, Germany, Spain, and the United States. 

Bay Area public health officials report a total of 45 cases in Santa Clara County and nine in Contra Costa County. Nationally, public events have been cancelled and the CDC is warning against attending events with large, dense crowds. 

In San Jose, the Children’s Discovery Museum and Action Day Primary Plus School have closed down completely. Over 60 schools have completely closed down, including San Jose State University and West Valley Community College, which have cancelled all non-online classes. Oak Grove High School underwent a deep-clean disinfecting process over the weekend after a student was found to have been in contact with a family member who was ill. Since children have not been found to be as susceptible as other age groups, the district has decided against cancelling school for now. 

On March 6th, 2020, Principal Matthew Hewitson announced the following events that will be canceled at Lincoln: 

• All performing arts concerts and performances, including the choir’s Sing! Concert 
  • All parent meetings, including booster groups, PTSA, principal’s coffee, and fundraisers
  • All staff meetings including department meetings 
  • All field trips 
  • AP Retreat is cancelled
  • The dance scheduled for March 20th rescheduled

Lincoln sporting events will not be cancelled, but spectators are discouraged from attending, and if not, to sit arms-length apart. 

SCC directions to maintain hygiene and battle the Coronavirus is as follows:

• frequently wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
  • alcohol based hand sanitizer can be used in a pinch if soap and water are not available
  • provide hand sanitizer stations for each classroom setting and at entrances when possible
  • avoid close contact with other people 
  • avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth
  • cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue

Sources Cited: