Strangers On Campus

Due to the several school attacks around the world, many schools have been taking precautions. Practicing the “shelter in place” drill has become a serious issue.

Lincoln high School’s administrator Wanda Alcorn feels school intruders are scary, but says “we are on top of it”.  The procedure she goes through when she finds an outsider on our campus is to stop and ask  what their reason is for being on  campus.   If they have no specific reason, they are then escorted off of campus.

Wanda feels our school is very safe. If anything serious happens nearby, such as a robbery or shooting, our officers will be immediately notified.

Lincoln High School is a closed campus.Students can not leave during the school day unless they have been signed out of school by a parent or guardian.  However, our track and field is open to the public to use before or after school. If any student notices an outsider on our campus who seems like they don’t belong, then they should report the person to the nearest officer, administrator, or teacher.

Paulette Paez, a sophomore at Lincoln, thinks  “shelter in place” drills are fun at times, but also scary. Paez says she feels safe while on our campus,  but feels our students should be more informed about what’s going on around us. Paulette also believes our school should practice safety drills more often, because not everyone knows how to handle a dangerous situation, and not everyone takes it seriously. “I feel our staff and students are prepared to take on any person(s) trying to harm our Lincoln family.”

The new campus supervisor, Mr.D,  believes that  past situations around the world have made school safety a top priority. He feels that there is no need for more security. 

Our principal, Mr.Hewitson, says it is easy to spot an outsider if they are wearing a hat or a sports team jersey, a violation of Lincoln High School’s dress code.